A group of scientists from the Indonesian Young Scientist Forum has called on the government to impose a lockdown on areas that have been deemed hot zones of the COVID-19 outbreak, in an effort to contain the virus’ spread ahead of Ramadan and the Idul Fitri holiday in April and May.In a letter addressed to Presidential Chief of Staff Moeldoko, the scientists requested an official meeting to contribute to the government’s policymaking process with regard to the public health crisis ahead of the major religious holiday.The Islamic fasting month of Ramadan is expected to begin on April 23, while Idul Fitri, which marks the end of the fasting month, is expected to fall on May 23. Read also: Regions close schools, cancel public events because of COVID-19The scientists noted that the annual Idul Fitri exodus, called mudik, during which people return to their hometowns across the country, would heighten the risk of a nationwide epidemic.“Measures to limit crowds and the movement of individuals in vulnerable areas should be maximized if the number of [confirmed] cases per day double,” the forum said in a statement on Saturday.The forum also recommended that the government increase the number of laboratories designated as COVID-19 testing facilities in addition to the lab of the Health Ministry’s Health Research and Development Agency (Litbangkes) to improve and accelerate tracing of close contacts. In addition, the forum called for the immediate establishment of an independent commission of scholars and practitioners from various sectors to evaluate the Health Ministry’s performance in detecting COVID-19 cases.“Decisions have to be made based on our readiness for the worst-case scenario, for the safety of Indonesia,” the forum said.Read also: Heat may curb COVID-19 spread in Indonesia. But don’t count on it, scientists sayMoeldoko had said earlier that the government planned to enlist the help of universities and other institutions to tackle the COVID-19 outbreak, which the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a “pandemic”.He continued that the government would no longer rely solely on the Health Ministry and health agencies for updates, but would actively engage health experts from a number of universities in its disease prevention and management efforts.By March 16, Indonesia had reported 117 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including five deaths.The government announced on March 14 that Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi had tested positive for the disease, identified as Case 76.President Joko Widodo announced on Sunday that the government urged citizens to practice social distancing and stay at home in the nationwide effort to curb the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19.Topics : read more
The bill had proposed funding for American families, thousands of shuttered or suffering businesses and the nation’s critically under-equipped hospitals. Oil markets began plunging earlier this month after top exporter Saudi Arabia launched unilateral price cuts following a failure to secure an agreement with Russia to further reduce output and support prices.There were hopes for some action to support the market after an envoy from Texas, a top oil-producing US state, was given a rare invite to an OPEC meeting in June. But hopes for an agreement fizzled after he faced criticism for suggesting output curbs.Even if cuts are agreed at some point, they “alone will not be enough to see prices fully recover the lost ground over the last month”, said Peter Kiernan, energy analyst from the Economist Intelligence Unit.”This would need a noticeable recovery in demand, which is unlikely in the short to medium term.” Oil prices were mixed in volatile Asian trade on Monday, but remained at multi-year lows due to the double shock of the coronavirus pandemic and the Saudi-Russia price war.Both main contracts plummeted at the open after a trillion-dollar support package for the American economy crashed to defeat, and virus deaths surged in Europe and the US over the weekend.International benchmark Brent crude was off 2.3 percent in afternoon trade at $26 a barrel, after earlier being down about five percent. Topics : US benchmark West Texas Intermediate however was up 1.3 percent at nearly $23 a barrel as traders bought at bargain prices — after having fallen over three percent in earlier deals.Both contracts remain at multi-year lows as lockdowns and travel restrictions to fight the virus hit demand, and top producers Saudi Arabia and Russia engage in a price war.Coronavirus deaths soared across Europe and the United States at the weekend despite heightened restrictions, with the tally jumping to more than 14,700, according to a Johns Hopkins University tracker.Prices also fell after a trillion-dollar Senate proposal to rescue the US economy was defeated because of zero support from Democrats, and with five Republicans absent from the chamber because of virus-related quarantines. read more
As many as 37 Dutch pension funds are facing rights cuts early next year despite the fact their average coverage ratios remained stable in November at approximately 110%, according to Aon Hewitt.The consultancy based it conclusion in part on its own “Pensions Thermometer”, which tracks daily average funding and the development of coverage ratios.Of the 68 pensions funds that applied rights discounts last April, 37 had already announced conditional cuts in 2014 at the time.To avoid cuts, pension funds must have a funding of at least 104.3% at year-end. According to Frank Driessen, chief commercial officer at Aon Hewitt Netherlands, the largest risk for funding is a marked increase in interest rates in December, which would cause the value of fixed income investments to fall faster than liabilities.“The reason is that liabilities are discounted against the average market rate of the past three months,” he said.While market rates barely changed in November, the three-month average narrowed slightly, leading to a 0.3% increase in liabilities, resulting in an equal reduction of the schemes’ coverage, Aon Hewitt said.However, it said the assets of Dutch schemes increased by 0.4% on average in November, mainly due to a 0.3% profit on fixed income investments and 1.1% on worldwide equities, with US equities generating 2.4%.Aon Hewitt also pointed out that commodities, emerging market equities and non-listed property performed badly in November.Meanwhile, Mercer said it estimated the average coverage ratio at November-end at 110.9%, reflecting a rise of 0.3 percentage points.It attributed the increase chiefly to the performance of developed market equities.Dennis van Ek, actuary and principal at Mercer Netherlands, said the average funding would decrease to 110% at year-end if interest rates remained stable in December.He echoed Driessen’s view that rising interest rates would come at the expense of the coverage, adding that a fall in rates would be beneficiary for schemes’ funding over the short term. read more
The deadline is approaching for public comments on the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Jacksonville District’s environmental review of the South Florida Water Management District’s Everglades Agricultural Area (EAA) storage reservoir study.According to USACE, comments on the EAA are being accepted through April 30, 2018.The Corps is preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to evaluate and document potential environmental effects of the SFWMD’s proposed plan, in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).“We are working steadfastly to support our partners at the South Florida Water Management District in the expeditious review of their report,” said Lt. Col. Jennifer Reynolds, Deputy District Commander for South Florida. “Stakeholder input is an essential component of our environmental review process and we encourage all interested parties to provide comments as part of this process.”This initial scoping period is to solicit comments on the Corps’ development of an Environmental Impact Statement for the SFWMD’s EAA storage reservoir study.Stakeholders will have additional opportunities to comment on the draft, and subsequent final Environmental Impact Statement, which will be incorporated into the SFWMD’s study as an appendix. read more
Robredo was offered the ICAD post aftershe called on the administration to re-evaluate its anti-illegal drugscampaign. Although her camp had called the offer “problematic,” Robredoaccepted the appointment. Present during the meeting were representativesfrom the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Agency,Department of State, and United States Agency for International Development,the US Embassy said in a statement. Robredo met with UN Office on Drugs andCrime representatives and other community-based advocacy groups to discuss betterways of management of the illegal drug problem. Meanwhile, in a separate statement,Robredo lauded government agencies for the recent seizure of P12.5 millionworth of shabu, noting that it was accomplished without bloodshed. The Embassy said the US officials “gavea briefing on US-Philippines counter-narcotics cooperation and potentialUS-funded programs.” “[I am] hopeful that we can continuethis in our fight against illegal drugs.”(GMANews/PN) Robredo earlier said she plans to askassistance from the US Embassy on how the Philippine government could furtherintensify its campaign against illegal drugs and hold big-time drug syndicatesliable for their crimes. The Duterte administration’santi-illegal drug campaign has drawn criticism from local and internationalhuman rights advocates, including Robredo, due to the high number of slain drugsuspects — 5,500 according to government figure, but critics claim the numbercould go as high as 27,000. During her first meeting with theinter-agency body, Robredo urged its members to help stop the “senselesskillings.” Vice President Leni Robredo, who co-chairs the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs, says the Philippines can learn a lot from the experiences of other countries. She met with United States (US) officials on Wednesday to discuss possible partnership to address the country’s illegal drug problem. ABS-CBN NEWS Robredo requested for the meeting withthe US delegation in her capacity as co-chairperson of the governmentInter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs (ICAD). “This is meant to assist the Philippinegovernment’s efforts in drug demand reduction,” it added. “Saludokami sa law enforcement agencies nabahagi ng mga operasyon kung saan nasabat ang P6.8 M na halaga ng shabu saMakati at P5.7 M na halaga ng shabu sa Tondo. This was done without sacrificinginnocent lives,” she said. MANILA – Vice President Leni Robredo onWednesday met with United States (US) officials to discuss possible partnershipto counter the illegal drug problem in the country. read more
Pateño was walking along the road whenlighting hit her around 3 p.m. on March 8, it added. She was rushed to the Don ValerioPalmares Sr. Memorial District Hospital in Passi City where the attendingphysician declared her “dead on arrival.”/PN The 25-year-old Isabelita Pateñosustained burn injuries, a police report showed. ILOILO City – A woman was struck bylightning in Baranagy Alimono, Passi City.
OA at Trinity Lutheran (5-1).OA 100 000 0 1 4 1TL 100 000 1 2 5 2For OA: Adam Huber 1-2, run, bb, sb; Chase Hogg 1-3; Zach Wegman 2-3, rbi; Jordan Stenger 0-3, reached by error.Michael Hoff 6.2 IP, 2 earned runs, 5 hits, 0 k, 2 bb, hbp. Loss.Varsity record: 5-9 Next game: (5-4) vs. Milan.Courtesy of Twisters Coach Doug Behlmer.
RelatedPosts Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham has expressed his hope that “this can be my season” following his hat-trick in the 5-2 win at Wolves. Abraham’s treble on Saturday saw him surge, with seven goals, to the top of the Premier League scoring charts, where he was subsequently joined by Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero. The 21-year-old, who had gone into the game having netted back-to-back braces in the previous two matches, scored in the 34th minute with a turn and shot, added a 41st minute header and slotted in his third 10 minutes into the second half. Abraham was quoted on Chelsea’s official website as saying: “I’ve been working hard and hopefully this can be my season. “It’s up to me to keep showing the gaffer (Frank Lampard) in every game and training session that I’m hungry and I want success. “He told me at half-time to stay on and get the hat-trick so I believed and stayed focused. “I’ve just got to be ready to take every chance that comes my way with both hands. I’m working hard and I’m just delighted to see that pay off with my goals (on Saturday) as well as the three points.” Abraham was among a trio of young Chelsea academy graduates for whom it was a particularly good day – the others being defender Fikayo Tomori, also 21, and 20-year-old midfielder Mason Mount. England Under-21 international Tomori opened the scoring in the 31st minute with a superb strike from around 30 yards – his first Chelsea goal. The hat-trick from Abraham, who won two senior England caps in 2017, then put Chelsea 4-0 up, before he accidentally diverted the ball into his own net with his hand in the 69th minute to make it 4-1. Abraham departed the field eight minutes later due to an apparent injury, although it seemed it was not serious. Wolves then scored again in the 85th minute through substitute Patrick Cutrone, before Mount, who made his first two senior England appearances during the recent international break, fired past Rui Patricio in added time. Abraham added: “I was thinking ‘don’t shoot, Fikayo’ but everyone is delighted for him. In training, he’s been trying it every day and smashing windows but (against Wolves) it paid off – it was a great strike. “We (he, Tomori and Mount) were the last people off the pitch because we were discussing how we’ve all scored in the same game for Chelsea. We’ve dreamt of that since we were little boys and we made it happen.” All three players are shining in the top-flight this term after playing Championship football on loan last season – Abraham at Aston Villa and Tomori and Mount at Derby under Lampard. While Saturday’s result took Chelsea up to sixth in the table, Nuno Espirito Santo’s Wolves sunk to 19th. They have won six out of six matches in Europa League qualifying this season but have not registered a victory in the Premier League, drawing three games and losing two. Regarding the continental campaign affecting league performances, defender Matt Doherty was quoted on Wolves’ official website as saying: “I think that would be an easy excuse to use or for people to say, but I don’t think so. “We’re probably a bit ahead of schedule in terms of when we came back in for pre-season and the games that we’ve had, but if anything, it’s probably just got us right. “Bad games can happen, what is important is we don’t repeat them, we have to react and be better. “It cannot happen again. We have to start from the defensive organisation. “I can’t use that (Europe) as an excuse at all. “We’re not concerned, not just yet. We’ve had a lot of games, drew the first three, but we could have won a couple of those. “(Against Chelsea) the result and the performance wasn’t great, but in the previous games, I don’t think our performance was that bad, so we’re not really worried about it at all yet.”Tags: ChelseaManchester CitySergio AgueroTammy Abraham read more
Defense — it’s been a trademark of USC football.Sure, we always hear about Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and Mike Williams, the high-powered offenses during those years when former USC coach Pete Carroll was around. Those Trojans’ teams boasted some of the most electrifying players in the nation.Though the Trojans sported one of the most high-powered offenses in the nation, their defense was just as good, if not better. But it seems as if defense is always undervalued and not as recognized, no matter how talented and no matter how good they might be.As fans, we like the eye-popping jukes, the one-two dance steps around a defender, the amazing leaping ability to nab a pass in the end zone. Not too many people care for the defense sans the big hit, which, in USC’s case, would likely result in a suspension.Under Carroll, a great defense was almost a given. Former linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. had a knack for bringing in talented four- and five-star recruits. USC had a reputation for developing linebackers. Forget about Tailback U. What about Linebacker U? And yes, let’s forget about Penn State for one moment here.Lofa Tatupu, Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews III and Kaluka Maiava come to mind. And in 2005, three highly touted freshmen linebackers — Maualuga, Cushing, Maiava — and one walk-on — Matthews — ultimately became the backbone of the USC defense.As freshmen and sophomores, significant playing time paved their way to success. As seniors, they spearheaded arguably one of the best defenses in USC history and those four were heralded as arguably the best linebacking corps in the history of college football.And it was for good reason.The Trojans’ defense that year ranked first in the nation in points allowed (7.8) and total yards allowed per contest (206.1). Their rush defense ranked fifth in the nation, allowing just under 84 rushing yards per game.This year a very similar situation might be playing out right before us. Against Colorado, USC coach Lane Kiffin elected to start freshmen linebackers Lamar Dawson and Tre Madden and redshirt freshman Hayes Pullard. Redshirt freshman Dion Bailey, who regularly starts, was out because of an injury. Going forward, Kiffin stated that Dawson will remain the starter. With that in mind, we could see Dawson, Pullard and Bailey, all freshmen, all starting for the remaining three games this year.Despite their youth, Bailey and Pullard rank No. 1 and No. 2 on the team in tackles, respectively. Their play, and the play of the defense in general in the last four games, has been a key reason for USC’s improvement on defense. The Trojans held California to just nine points and Bailey picked off quarterback Zach Maynard twice. The Notre Dame running game was limited to just 41 rushing yards. Even Stanford’s vaunted rushing attack was held to just 3.9 yards per carry after averaging more than five yards per carry coming into the contest.This season, the defense ranks 19th in the nation in rush defense, allowing more than 106 yards per contest. It has allowed just 13 rushing touchdowns this year, and only five in the last four games.Many of us might criticize the defense for its shortcomings or even point the finger at assistant coach Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 schemes and a lot of its struggles. The defense has surely bent, and bent a lot, but it really hasn’t broken yet. When looking at this defense, however, it is still relatively young top to bottom. And it’s about time to recognize what this current unit is doing, especially the linebackers, and what it will look like in just a couple years.Yes, it might be premature to say that Bailey, Pullard, Dawson and Madden will turn into a Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews and Maiava-like four-some.But in a year or two, this linebacking corps could turn out to be really special. “In the Zone” runs every other Friday. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email Trevor at email@example.com. read more
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 30, 2016 at 11:46 pm Comments